6 February 2012

Breakfast at Tiffany's

So I decided to carry on my little movie quest with an all time classic - Breakfast at Tiffany's - to add a little style to my otherwise less than glamorous week of uni and work.

Now, I'd attempted to watch this a few years ago and I have to say I got a little bored and didn't manage to watch it all the way through. I put it down to still being a little too young to appreciate it, because all girls love Breakfast at Tiffany's, right? It's got such a cult following that perhaps I was just a little young to fully appreciate its brilliance - that would be it.

However, I have to say that at the ripe old age of 20 I still don't really get what all the hype is about. Yes Audrey Hepburn is gorgeous as usual and it cannot be denied that the film is extremely stylish. The delicately humorous moments with the telephone in the suitcase and the poor cat who gets pushed from pillar to post help to make the character of Holly Golightly endearing, but I can't help but feel that the overall plot is a little flat. With moments of such subtle but great writing it seems to me there were so many lost opportunities to develop the story that little bit further and really make it a film masterpiece in my eyes.

Don't get me wrong, it's a perfectly watchable film, and I will no doubt see it again without protest, it just didn't quite hit the spot with me. Perhaps one day it will, perhaps it won't, but either way you've got to love Miss Hepburn's style!

So finally in tribute to the poor nameless slob - it's time to give him the recognition he deserves. Enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, they are greatly appreciated, always read and make my day!!