17 November 2012

Busy, busy, busy!

I apologize again for it being so long since I last dropped by. Whichever part of me thought it would be easy to balance the final year of a Psychology degree, a weekend job, write a blog and have some free time for craft was obviously just a little deranged! So what have I been up to since we last spoke? Well...

Mum came to visit a and I was a bit rubbish with remembering to take photos, we had a quick shopping trip to Brighton, including an expensive trip to Cath Kidston (thank heavens for student discount!), we paid a visit to the land of the blue and yellow flags, spent too much money yet again, ate meatballs, went on an adventure to London, had paella in Covent Garden, went to Harrods, was overwhelmed by how the other half live - they even sell puppies. Puppies I tell you! And, the main reason for Mum's visit - we went to the Hollywood Costume Exhibition at the Victoria & Albert Museum. It was a great exhibition and I thoroughly recommend a visit, regardless of what era film you're into. Particular highlights for me where the LBD from Breakfast at Tiffany's, Eliza Dolittle's flower seller outfit from My Fair Lady, Elle Woods' pink outfit complete with pillbox hat and bag for Bruiser from Legally Blonde and of course the classics - the blue gingham dress and red sparkly shoes from the Wizard of Oz and Marilyn Monroe's white dress - you know the one!

Image source: V&A Museum Website

It was a truly brilliant exhibition, if a little crowded, despite entry being ticketed within specific time slots. I also completely understand why strictly no photography was allowed, however I think they missed a real trick in not selling a programme with a few photographs and some information about the exhibition and some of the costumes. They sold a book with lots of photos and a guide through the exhibition, but with a £25 price tag it was a bit out of my range! The Hollywood inspired gifts and pieces of costume jewellery available in the shop were a nice touch though.

Image source: V&A Museum Website

Since then I've generally spent my time catching up on work, completing coursework and beginning the long and laborious process of seeking ethics approval for my planned project that will hopefully become my dissertation. I've also been back for a whirlwind trip to Dorset (all 49 hours of it!) to watch WOW Youth Musical Theatre's production of Oliver on Wednesday and then help out backstage on Thursday. In fact, I was in Dorset when I started this post, but I dare say I'll be back in East Sussex by the time I've finished!

However, despite all the rushing about I have had the chance to do a little bit of stitching, mostly on the train I have to admit. When I first started stitching on the train when travelling between East Sussex and Dorset over the summer I noticed the odd funny look from people on the train. However this week I was a girl on a mission. No amount of funny looks or snatched overheard conversation was going to put me off! Needless to say this little guy is nearing completion already


I am also aware I haven't managed to post October's month in pictures yet. What can I say? I'm sorry, it's a work in progress. I've also written 4 more posts that will be published automatically over the next couple of days, seeming as according to my rules I am now officially allowed to start using the C-word!

So, so long fare thee well, pip pip cheerio, we'll be back soon! (spot the naff reference to Oliver)

Happy Saturday, 
aLittleBlonde

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! I am planning a visit to this asap, what a coincedence?
    thanks for addig me to your reading list I will join along with you oh google followers, niceblog,
    Daisy J .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! It's a brilliant exhibition with so many great costumes. The commentary and information boards are really worth reading as well because they give a really interesting insight into the world of costume design. All the costumes are really cleverly displayed too, but I won't spoil it for you.
    Have fun and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, they are greatly appreciated, always read and make my day!!